Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Michaels Italian Restaurant

So Michaels, the crafting mecca store has FINALLY decided to update its logo. Gone are the dated red letters that adorn weekly coupons in the Sunday paper, and in their place, this whimsical hand lettered font. 

On paper I enjoy the new logo. The handwritten style is definitely in keeping with the "crafting" mantra of the store. However, I'm not quite sure how this will look on the stores themselves. It looks more like a boutique style store, rather than the solid national crafting institution that it is. I know that their ads [and their coupons] will not be as identifiable in the Sunday paper, but could the same fate await the stores themselves? Let me explain. I inherited my creative spirit from my mother. While I prefer to keep it somewhat under control, my mother has let crafting go to her head a little too much [I mean this in a good way of course]. Recently my mom and I took a road trip. When planning said trip my mother grew very concerned because there was a Michaels one day only sale coupon [a "special" one besides the typical sunday paper regulars]. The problem was that this one day interfered with our trip. In order to appease my mother we pulled off the highway in Fredericksburg, Virginia in search of a Michaels so that her coupon would not go to waste. Lucky for us, all we needed to find was the giant strip mall infested road that ran through town, and then giant [ugly] red letters would alert us to the nearest Michaels. 

I ask this - with the new logo, will it be as easy to find when driving down the road? I fear that new logo will not be as substantial, nor easily identifiable to passersby. Should my mother and I find ourselves in an obscure town the day of a one day only Michaels sale, will we be able to distinguish the crafts giant from Michael's Italian Restaurant? I worry. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the new logo, I'm just not sure how it will work on a storefront. 



No comments: